10,000
This morning we tripped the odometer over 10,000 hits here on the blog. The blog started in August 2006, and it has been an interesting project. Reaching this milepost just three weeks before the new governing body members are sworn-in presents a natural time to reflect on this MarfaGov blog.
I ended my first post with the statement, "I believe that a vigorous and respectful debate is healthy for the community." I know we achieved vigorous debate though I am not sure I was always as respectful as I had hoped. Nonetheless, I believe that this has been a successful effort. Blogging is a new form of communication based on high concepts of freedom of speech and struggling with low tendencies towards unfair impersonal criticism from all sides.
Computer communications is a powerful media. Ordinary people are empowered to participate in an open forum. Someone with a strong passion on a subject can share their observations in a widely readable format. It would be very difficult to accomplish the same results with a self-published paper 'zine. People that might be punished by more powerful members of the community have freedom to express their thoughts without fear of retribution.
I saw a recent cartoon on the trajectory of a blog that illustrated some of the intense social issues in blogging. It certainly hit home. The intersection of strong opinions and the assumed anonymity of a keyboard and screen leads to interesting dynamics. A blogger code of conduct has been proposed to address some of these issues. Good points are raised, though I don't think this is the answer. Good content, reasonable ground rules, and a dedication to keeping the conversation on track produces a useful public forum.
I want to thank everyone who has participated in this blog. Some people are active contributors that provide all of us with useful information based on their research or observations. I appreciate the critics of the blog. Those comments have helped shape the blog and make it a better forum. Mostly, I appreciate the readers that take the time to read the posts and discuss these local issues.
I firmly believe that citizen participation is a valuable part of government. If this blog stimulates public discussion of municipal issues and increases citizen participation, then public officials are better able to represent the will of the public. I am proud of the way that this blog has helped people become more involved in their government. I am reminded of the opening paragraph to Chapter 552 of the Texas code on open government and ethics:
I believe that a vigorous and respectful debate is healthy for the community. Thank you for participating.
I ended my first post with the statement, "I believe that a vigorous and respectful debate is healthy for the community." I know we achieved vigorous debate though I am not sure I was always as respectful as I had hoped. Nonetheless, I believe that this has been a successful effort. Blogging is a new form of communication based on high concepts of freedom of speech and struggling with low tendencies towards unfair impersonal criticism from all sides.
Computer communications is a powerful media. Ordinary people are empowered to participate in an open forum. Someone with a strong passion on a subject can share their observations in a widely readable format. It would be very difficult to accomplish the same results with a self-published paper 'zine. People that might be punished by more powerful members of the community have freedom to express their thoughts without fear of retribution.
I saw a recent cartoon on the trajectory of a blog that illustrated some of the intense social issues in blogging. It certainly hit home. The intersection of strong opinions and the assumed anonymity of a keyboard and screen leads to interesting dynamics. A blogger code of conduct has been proposed to address some of these issues. Good points are raised, though I don't think this is the answer. Good content, reasonable ground rules, and a dedication to keeping the conversation on track produces a useful public forum.
I want to thank everyone who has participated in this blog. Some people are active contributors that provide all of us with useful information based on their research or observations. I appreciate the critics of the blog. Those comments have helped shape the blog and make it a better forum. Mostly, I appreciate the readers that take the time to read the posts and discuss these local issues.
I firmly believe that citizen participation is a valuable part of government. If this blog stimulates public discussion of municipal issues and increases citizen participation, then public officials are better able to represent the will of the public. I am proud of the way that this blog has helped people become more involved in their government. I am reminded of the opening paragraph to Chapter 552 of the Texas code on open government and ethics:
- Under the fundamental philosophy of the American constitutional form of representative government that adheres to the principle that government is the servant and not the master of the people, it is the policy of this state that each person is entitled, unless otherwise expressly provided by law, at all times to complete information about the affairs of government and the official acts of public officials and employees. The people, in delegating authority, do not give their public servants the right to decide what is good for the people to know and what is not good for them to know. The people insist on remaining informed so that they may retain control over the instruments they have created.
I believe that a vigorous and respectful debate is healthy for the community. Thank you for participating.
2 Comments:
Rob, in the past you posted a Marfa Blog target map. Had places all over the world!
I can only speak for myself but I am sure that a majority of the citizens of Marfa appreciate the immense effort that has gone into the creation and the continuation of this forum. It has enlightened the readers to the dark and opaque methods of the current administration. Fortunately the gavel of The Mayor is limp to the voices outside Council Meetings. Thank You, .. congradulations 10,000
Robert Arber
Post a Comment
<< Home