Saturday, February 17, 2007

A MarfaGov History

Our outgoing council granted Florencio P. Sauceda a golden-parachute contract with a $27,000 payoff just weeks before a new council takes place. It is an irresponsible act of disrespect towards incoming council members and the taxpayers of Marfa. One is left to scratch their head and wonder why Martinez, Petrosky and Rivera have such strong support for such a weak administrator.

Martinez was quoted in the last Big Bend Sentinel, “I don’t believe he’s performed at peak efficiency.” And Sauceda’s performance “may not be commensurate with the salary he was given.” AND, “there is no excuse why our administrator has to be gone every weekend. We expect every employee to work from 8 to 5.” Martinez also reminded us that David Lanman called Florencio P. Sauceda "repulsive" and refused to work with him at first. Yet these three council members and the mayor thinks he is the best person for the job. Go figure.

On a lighter note, I have made a little slide show with a soundtrack to illustrate the recent history of Marfa's government. This is meant to look at a serious problem with a sense of humor. All characters are fictional and any resemblance to living persons is purely coincidental.

The slideshow takes a couple minutes to load with high-speed internet access. Your web browser needs Adobe's Macromedia Flash Player to watch it. If you don't have it, you will be shown a link to download it. Enjoy!

Don't forget to vote May 12th. If you think you can do a better job, consider running by getting your name on the ballot by March 12. Just go to city hall to request a packet.

Click on the image below to begin watching.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FANTASTIC !!!!!! I found you have to wait 18 seconds of the black screen before anything happens then it was just perfect political parody. Bravo Bravo

2/17/07, 4:44 PM  
Blogger RobC said...

aw shucks...

2/17/07, 7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny! Too true!
Warning ...Long post follows..

A citizen brought up the point (in an earlier post) that the government is 'broken' I happen to agree, there can be no rational explantion as to why unelected officials are appointed, officals allowed to stay on the council (in abstinsia") etc,There must be some changes made or rules developed to handle these issues...changes to the charter??

No city employee who doesn't do their job should be allowed to retain their position PERIOD. The report card for a city Administrator is the budget..no new comprehensive budget for two years running! i don't care who it is, they are gone..At least in the real world.

Council, hang your head in shame!

On a different tack, I don't know what the Mayor said about the MAC building, but I know from the first hand experience of volunteering there, it is pit, it is depressing and it is very hard to keep staff in various programs.

I think this forum is very important and I appreciate everyone's input...Make Marfa Better
scott may

2/18/07, 11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home