Monday, May 21, 2007

ORCA Pool Grant 4: Update

After a conversation with the new mayor, I learned that Mr. Sauceda did send a reply to ORCA after a second extension to March 30th with responses to the seven deficiencies.

In my earlier post, I said: "I have not seen Sauceda's response to ORCA. ORCA asked Lanman to respond to this by March 5, 2007. I believe Sauceda requested extensions until March 27th. I don't know what documentation has been provided. According to a source at ORCA, "The extension granted to resolve the problems has already come and gone" with nothing new to report as of the first of May."

It appears that not everyone at ORCA had seen the response by early May. ORCA has not responded to the deficiencies yet. They remain unresolved.

I also learned that ORCA is being absorbed by another state agency and is working to close out all its active projects. They want to close out this grant as much as Marfa does.

ORCA may have been wrong when they stated that it appears that Weather's Electric paid wages less than the minimum required wage.

ORCA's criticism of the poor organization and record keeping for this grant indicate that Marfa should have hired a real grant administrator. Even if the deficiencies are resolved with after-the-fact changes, ORCA's Monitoring Report describes a project that was poorly managed.

And the fact remains that Sauceda and Lanman never brought these problems to the attention of the city council during a public meeting. Council needs to have confidence that the administrator does not withhold important information from council.

0 Comments:

<< Home