Tuesday, June 19, 2007

From Inside the Walls

Mayor---

Life inside the walls gives one a different perspective. Although I am tasked with researching the pros and cons of County Vs City law enforcement, I want to share my experience concerning the Marfa Police Department to date.
The MPD is quickly learning the habits of those that do their best work late at night and early in the morning. A warning to them folks, the PD doesn’t have the usual sleep habits the rest of us enjoy.
The Municipal Court is the other half of the law enforcement equation for the City. This said, the Police Department and the Court combined do not make money for the City. That isn’t their job.
On the subject of the Chief, he was up-front with me from day one that he intends to run for the Sheriff’s Office in Jeff Davis County. Oscar Carrillo did the same thing in Van Horn. That is the biggest downside to having a PD. We are just a stepping stone, a revolving door, to a better paying job in law enforcement for everyone we hire and train.
This Chief is a self-motivator and he initiates very well, as does my other Department Heads. He may very well have salvaged about $18,000 in Code Enforcement grant funds that we may have otherwise had to turn back to TECQ.
Drug interdiction & apprehension of intoxicated/wasted folks is dangerous business and we have had our share recently. This may be lot more exciting than illegal dumping or code enforcement, but that is where the money and training are going.
Now there seems to be a concern about supervision over the PD. This Chief is no stranger to my office door. He coordinates well and never takes what he calls a “major step” without talking with me first. If he has a problem, I’m the first one he likes to share it with.
I have never assured the Chief nor any of his officers that the City will keep it’s own PD. That is up to the Council. I don’t have vote. We will have to have a code enforcement officer; I can’t see anything around that.
Corina is a very nice Lady that serves the department well and we all appreciate her work. She is an asset to the department.
I appreciate all of you that take an interest in City government. Personally, I think the County government is a lot more interesting (hint, hint).
I will share more from inside the walls as time goes on. The PD is not what keeps me awake at night.
Dan

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Mayor; BRAVO! This is what we look to as leadership...the calm and reasoning voice, a willingness to communicate your own values, and, hopefully, to mollify the shrill dialogue which has fearful implications for tearing apart a community already showing signs of division along multiple fractures. Thank you.

6/20/07, 8:12 AM  
Blogger RobC said...

Hi Mayor Dan! Thanks for posting. It's good to hear the perspective from the city. Keeping busy over there?

6/20/07, 12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's that about county government? Trying to put the heat on us, eh?

6/21/07, 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home